Sunday, August 1, 2010

Use Sigmaplot to export high quality .TIF/.TIFF file

Sigmaplot is a powerful tool for drawing scientific charts, and it is also powerful at exporting high quality .TIF/.TIFF file, which can be directly submitted to the journal editors. Here's what I found out how to get high quality images from Sigmaplot:

Firstly, scale down the original graph. The default size of charts are relatively big, usually ~100mm*100mm. It's better to scale them down to 30%. Then select the items, and use highest DPI possible (for me, 600DPI). And change the exporting size to about 3 -5 time larger than the chart size. This will give you a large and clear TIF image.

2 comments:

  1. Better yet, use the page layout settings to make the page dimensions match the journal's image requirements. I usually make mine 3.25" wide for a single column image. Then when you export you don't have to adjust the size. This way the final image is its to-be-published size and no rescaling (which lowers quality in both directions) will be necessary.

    Another small suggestion is to avoid the cmyk and rgb compression options that sigmaplot offers. Instead, export uncompressed .tiff then recompress using LZW in a program such as gimp or photoshop. It is a lossless compression and in my experience gives much smaller files in the end.

    Most journals worth their salt are glad to receive 600 DPI LZW compressed tiffs that are correctly sized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for this valuable comment, Greg.

    Actually I'm still struggling with this issue. I'will definitely try the method you suggested.

    And I also have problems with export quality figures from AutoCAD. I used PDFCreator as my virtual printer and print the figures in .Tiff format from AutoCAD 2009. But either it will end up a low quality figure (even if I use high DPI), or a very huge figure (10000*10000 pixel sometimes). Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete

Any comments?

my-alpine and docker-compose.yml

 ``` version: '1' services:     man:       build: .       image: my-alpine:latest   ```  Dockerfile: ``` FROM alpine:latest ENV PYTH...